– Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
– Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add red onion and sauté over medium heat until golden/brown. Add the apple and sauté for 5 minutes longer or until slightly softened.
– In a mixing bowl, combine the bread cubes with the onion and apple mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients, except broth, salt and pepper, and stir together.
– Drizzle in the broth slowly, stirring at the same time to moisten the ingredients evenly. Season with salt and pepper, to tase.
– Transfer the mixture to an oiled shallow 1½-quart baking pan. Bake for half an hour, or until browned and still slightly moist. Stir gently about midway through the baking time.
– Ready to serve.